Monday, September 20, 2010

Restaurant Review: Moe's Southwest Grill

Moe's Blows

I'm a huge fan of Chipotle, and fresh made burritos in general. After hearing good think about this restaurant and reading multiple reviews claiming that it was even better than Chipotle, I had to check it out.

When I walked in, my first impression was that the restaurant was dull and dingie looking. The florescent lights reminded me of a hospital room and the old, dirty floors and chairs made me think of a run down Swiss Chalet.

I ordered the Art Vandalay which is what they call the vegetarian burrito. I wasn't that hungry going in, so I was prepared for this to be way too much food, as Chipotle's burritos are massive, and rightfully so for the price. The prices at Moe's were pretty much equal to Chipotle, but the here the chips and salsa are free. Chipotle charges $2 for theirs.

My burrito was around the size of something you would order from the big bell menu at Taco Bell for $1.29 but it rang in at around $10 with a fountain pop and tax. I chose the black beans, which I was told were spicy, but was let down as they had no taste whatsoever. The rice was either undercooked or old and dried out because it was hard and chewy like aldante pasta. For me, the rice is the best part of the burrito. I love Chipotle's lime cilantro rice, but on top of being hard, Moe's was flavourless.

The only thing that gave my food any flavour at all was the chopped jalepeno peppers and chipotle mayonaise that I had them add. I should note that Chipotle doesn't offer a burrito sauce or jalepenos, but everything else there has such a great flavour that it isn't neccessary. The sauce tasted sort of like the southwest chipotle sauce from Subway. It was good.

The free corn chips tasted like something you could buy in a bag at the grocery store. They weren't particularly bad, but were nothing special and definately didn't compare to the fresh made chips that I've had at places like Mucho Burrito and Chipotle. I'd much rather spend the extra $2 and get something good. Also, Moe's salsa tasted like Old El Paso's jarred extra chunky.

All in all, this place was a major let down. The portions would not have filled me if I was hungry (and I'm a slender girl) and I could have, and should have walked around the block to Chipotle where I could have gotten three times more food, that was better quality for the same price, served in a bright, clean enviroment.

Side note: I was told that Moe's sings and chats with you and greets you with a big friendly "Welcome to Moe's!" That didn't happen. In fact, 3 out of 4 employees working the counter could barely speak english. But that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

Thumbs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment